Saturday, December 10, 2011

Review - Near Death 3

I don't hesitate to say that without Jay Faerber I would not be the comic book fan I am today. His Noble Causes series was one of the first Image Comics I ever read, and it left a huge impression on me on how super-heroes could be written outside the normal tropes. Over the years he's come at us with different sorts of comics from Dodge's Bullets to Firebirds to Dynamo 5 to Gemini. And while I've unfortunately not read all of them like a good fan should, mostly because I've been going through a bit of a super-hero burn out, I respect the hell out of him as a comic creator. So when I heard about his new crime series, Near Death, its no surprise I jumped on top of it with both feet.

Near Death is the story of a hitman who has a near death experience that scares the hell out of him. Finding himself back among the living he vows to change his life around, and save lives instead of take them. So far each issue has told a self contained story as our lead 'hero', Markham, as he wrestles with his new found purpose in life. Attempting to save, not only the person looking down the wrong end of a gun, but the people pulling the trigger as well. Its this duality of purpose that intrigues me about this series. Markham seems to be trying to save everyone, most significantly himself. But he's still not sure of his motives or end goal.

This issue has Markham opening up some old wounds, by trying to save a Police Detective, Eliza Cahill, who's partner he killed while taking out a hit on an informant in witness protection. She want's Markham's blood and no doubt. But she's caught in a bind with corrupt cops trying to shut her up, and Markham help is all she has to rely on. I really liked this story and the dynamic between Markham and Eliza is fascinating considering their history. I get the feeling she'll be back soon enough, there's too much potential there to just leave it on the table.

Art wise I'm a bit more critical of. It has a gritty dark tone to it, which works for the sort crime thriller its suppose to be. But, there's just something stiff about it. Most faces seem sort of waxy and lifeless, and some backgrounds and vehicles are clearly drawn from reference (I won't go so far as to say 'traced' but its probable). Its not a deal breaker, but I wish the art had a bit more life to it.

Overall this is a great book, that I'll be following for a while. OUTSTANDING.

Next: SAVAGE DRAGON.

No comments:

Post a Comment