Monday, December 12, 2011

New Comics for Week of 12-14-11

For a second there I thought I was getting caught up, but woop woop I'm still a week behind on reviews! This is tougher then I thought. I shall attempt to have last week reveiws caught up by Wednesday. We'll see. Regardless, its MONDAY! And that means NEW COMICS SHIPPING FOR THE WEEK OF 12-14-11!

20TH CENTURY BOYS VOL.18. AVENGERS 1959 4. LEGION LOST 4. 
RESURRECTION MAN 4. STAR WARS AGENT OF THE EMPIRE 1.

20TH CENTURY BOYS VOL.18 - Naoki Urasawa is a comic genius, 20th Century Boys has been a continual bright spot in my comic reading diet. We're nearing the end game of this series now, and I can't wait to see how things tie up.








AVENGERS 1959 - Every time I think I've finally run out of Marvel titles to read, and my pull list will be Marvel-free for the first time ever, something grabs me. In this case Avengers 1959 blindsided me, more then likely because I was coming off a Howard Chaykin high from his Marked Man series in Dark Horse Presents. I'm also am a sucker for period pieces and cold war spy thrillers. Loving this cover, with Nick Fury and the Blonde Phantom running and shooting things, with sinister bad guy looming over. Chaykin's still got it.






LEGION LOST 4 - Over the last 6 months I've become a bit of a Legion of Super-Heroes fan, perhaps boarder-lining on the obsessive. Fabian Nicieza's Legion Lost has been, after a questionably shaky start, consistantly good. This issue is meant to spotlight Dawnstar. Probably my second least favorite Legionnaire. Lets see if Fabian can turn my opinion around. 
This cover's sort of stock, and considering this is a Dawnstar issue, her being MIA on the cover is a bit odd.



RESURRECTION MAN 4 - Dan Abnett is emphatically one of my favorite comic writers currently working. When paired with his buddy Andy Lanning, magic happens. From Legion Lost (the first one), to Nova, to Guardians of the Galaxy, to this, they are just the best duo in comics.
This is a fun girls with guns cover (who, btw, seem like really interesting characters, extreme fashion sense aside. Apparently they were characters in the original series), and my new favorite enigma, THE TRANSHUMAN. Can't wait to see what his deal is.






STAR WARS AGENT OF THE EMPIRE - IRON ECLIPSE 1 - Star Wars Rebellion Era + John Ostrander + James Bond = Perhaps a Star Wars title I can get behind. 
I'm... actually not to hot on this cover, the cover copy seems really busy with so many titles and subtitles, and the tag lines all over the place. But I'm very interesting it what this comic is about, I can forgive it.

No comments:

Post a Comment