Monday, November 28, 2011

New Comics for the Week of 11-30-11

I know I'm still working my way through reviewing last week's Five Comics (since I came up with the idea after last Wednesday). But its Monday, so that means FIVE NEW COMICS!


2000 AD 1758. FABLES 111. NEAR DEATH 3. SAVAGE DRAGON 176. SPACEMAN 2.


2000 AD 1758 - Cover lovingly painted by Simon Davis for the series Amphey Crucis Investigates. If you may recall from my Dark Horse Presents review, I have sort of a thing for serial anthologies. And 2000 AD is the Gold Standard.









FABLES 111 - Another finely painted cover of my new favorite Fable, Bufkin. This arc has been cooking with gas going back and forth between the North Wind and Oz story arcs. Fables is consistently good.









NEAR DEATH 3 - Jay Faerber is cooking up something really special here. And that cover by Tomm Coker is something else.











SAVAGE DRAGON 176 - 176 issues, and no end in sight. Erik Larsen is a trooper if nothing else. This issue promises to finally reveal who the new Overlord is. I have my suspicions, we'll see how off the mark I am. Erik Larsen is nothing else if not a genius at misdirection. Great homage cover harkening back to Savage Dragon 20.








SPACEMAN 2 - Spaceman is shaping up to be one doozy of a science fiction yarn. And in a landscape very thin on the ground of good science fiction I'll take all I can get. This cover also has some serious great composition.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know with Near Death. I love Faerber, and I love the high concept. But something is lacking yet. I miss a distinct voice on Markham, and some deeper thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I sort of agree. I'll digest issue 3 and see where that leads me to in the review.

    ReplyDelete